Portal Home > Knowledgebase > SMCP > SMCP Installation
SMCP can be installed by using the installer program or it can be installed as an RPM package. The installer will check to make sure that the requirements are in place for SMCP to work properly so we recommend using the installer even though installation with the installer is not required. The installer and the RPM can be downloaded from the client area after a license key has been issued for SMCP. To download the SMCP installer login to the client area, go to the list of products and services, view the details of the license and click on the download link. Once on the download page you can download the installer archive file in zip or TAR format. The archive file will include the SMCP installer and the RPM. The MD5 check sums for each file are listed below:
smcpinstaller.zip md5: dbd84456b692f8f5bf8142a082363c0d
smcpinstaller.tar md5: 8611dadb097cb8f23ef9b9c945a9ba4f
The latest version of SMCP is 0.9-37.
Installing with the SMCP Installer
Once the installer has been downloaded and extracted from the archive file set the permissions so that it can be executed as a binary program and run it from the command line by entering the following:
The Ioncube encoder must be installed on the server before the installer is executed. The installer only takes one command line parameter which is the license key for the installation of SMCP. The following are examples with both formats of the key command line parameter:
smcpinst -k SMCPX-1234567890123456
smcpinst --key SMCPX-1234567890123456
If a key is not provided on the command line the installer will install SMCP and the license key will be installed automatically by SMCP when it contacts the licensing server. If for some reason the licensing server cannot be contacted then the license key will have to be installed manually. The license key can be installed manually by editing the smcp.ini file.
Installing with RPM
SMCP can be installed with RPM only since it is distributed as an RPM package but if it is installed this way you will also need to check that all of the required software packages and configuration settings are in place before installing the RPM. We recommend use of the SMCP installer for a quicker installation process.
Keep the folloiwning in mind when installing SMCP:
- The original Exim local configuration file (exim.conf.local) will be saved in the "/etc" directory and will be named in the following format:
where YYYY-MM-DD is the date that SMCP was installed. A copy of the original file will also be saved n the SMCP administration files area as exim.conf.local.orig.
- A key is not rrequired for insttallation since SMCP will check with the licensing server for the key or it can be installed manually.
- Log files of the installation process using the SMCP installer will be created the "/tmp" directory. The files that are created are the following: smcp-install.log and smcp-rpm-install.log
- Even though a configuration file is installed for cPanel's Service Manager to keep DSPAM enabled and running you will still need to login to WHM and enable monitoring for the automatic restarts to occur. We plan on resolving this for a future release.
- If the current SMCP RPM file is in the same directory where the installer is located then the installer will use the local copy of the SMCP installer instead of connecting to our web site to download the latest version.
Add to Favourites Print this Article
SMCP Features (Views: 1223)